Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nectarine Quinoa for a Healthy Breakfast...

I should be doing my reading for Contracts but my breakfast was just too yummy to not post right away...

I love Quinoa...ever since I discovered it last year, I've made it a staple of my diet.

Normally, I use this high protein grain in savory dishes for dinner. Well, when Melissa of Baking a Sweet Life announced the event, Let it Grain, I started thinking something sweet may be a nice change. I had some nectarines that were getting dangerously ripe, so I sauteed them with some butter, sprinkled with brown sugar and some nutmeg, and served over the quinoa. It is delicious!



Ginny's Nectarine Quinoa

1 cup cooked quinoa (follow directions on the package, I added a tablespoon of butter to give it some more flavor as it cooked)
2 Nectarines, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup almond slices (optional)


1. In a pan, heat the butter over medium to low heat until melted.
2. Add the nectarines and sautee until warmed through.
3. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and the nutmeg, stir and allow the nectarines to bubble and carmelize for a few minutes.
4. Serve over the quinoa

P.S. An extra idea: To add a bit more protein and a little crunch, mix in almonds! I thought about this while at the store but opted to buy a chocolate bar instead of almonds...I can't always be healthy!

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That.... breakfast.... looks..... PERFECT!!! Yum.

LyB said...

Oooh, that is lovely! I've yet to try quinoa for breakfast, but you are so tempting me! :)

Eric said...

I, too, have converted to the Quinoa Cult. How do you think it's pronounced?

test it comm said...

What a great breakfast! I like using quinoa for breakfasts.

Manggy said...

Nice new profile pic, Ginny :) I love the glazed appearance of the nectarines!

Now get thee back to thy studies! :)

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! Wouldn't mind eating this for breakfast but the thing is, I need something real quick in the morning with two kids running around ;)

Sylvie said...

Looks like a great way to start the day, but unfortunately I'm not that keen on quinoa.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Quinoa for breakfast -- what a fantastic idea.

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- I was thinking you would like this...you can eat everything right?

lyb- It works great...next I'm going to try to make a cake with it! :)

eric- glad to have you on the bandwagon...as for saying it...yikes!

kevin- thanks!

mark- I thought you may like the new pic...more age appropriate? isnt the best part of studying, the procrastination? :)

linda- if you ever have a free min or a babysitter, give it a shot!

sylvie- thank you! we can't like everything!

lydia- thanks! give it a try! :)

marina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lore said...

You had me at "nectarines"! Love the idea of combining them with quinoa and almonds for breakfast :D