Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunlight, Sunday Morning, Scones



Sunshine peeking through the blinds woke me up this morning. Well, to be honest, the text from my roommate did but...sunlight woke me up the second time. Something about it made me crave my family's big weekend brunches. My mother will make scones, coffee cake, Züpfe (a Swiss braided bread similar to Challah), or some other sort of breakfast bread. We will get out a variety of different cheeses and fruit. Then, the whole family sits down to a leisurely breakfast. If it is warm, which in North Carolina is almost year round, we will move everything onto the back porch, basking in the sunshine and enjoying the fresh air. I love these brunches. It is always nice to be with my family and it brings back wonderful memories of our years spent in Switzerland.

This morning, I decided that I could at least replicate the food of these brunches. I made some Scones, got out the Brie, brewed some strong coffee and climbed onto the couch to watch TV with my roommates. So, not exactly the same as breakfast at my parent's house but...at least I had scones! The scones were good but like all things never as good as my mother's. I adapted the original recipe from The Best of Priscilla's English Tea Room. This tea room was in Hillsborough, North Carolina but, unfortunately, closed and I can find no reference online. I have adapted it for only two to three people. I sometimes add cinnamon to add some extra flavor.






The English Scone
(adapted from The Best of Priscilla's English Tea Room)

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup currants
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Blend dry ingredients with butter using a pastry cutter until the butter is in very small pieces and fully incorporated.
4. Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk. Mix until just incorporated. Dough will be sticky and moist.
5. Place on a floured surface and pat into a rectangle. Mine ended up being about 8" x 4" x 1/2". Cut down the middle and cut each half into triangles (about 8 per side).
6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until browned.
7. Serve with honey, jam, butter, lemon curd... I prefer honey!

P.S. Do you not have a pastry cutter? My sister gave me one for Christmas this past year. I always ask for new kitchen gadgets for presents. Before this wonderful tool entered my life, I would use two kitchen knifes to cut the butter when making scones, biscuits and other such bake goods. In order to do this, hold a knife in each hand with the blades pointed down and out. Cross the blades over the butter and then pull out cutting the butter. Continue this crossing method, mixing the butter with the flour mixture until the butter is in small enough pieces and throughly mixed in with the flour.





10 comments:

Pam said...

Mmm, those look awesome! I've been looking for a good scone recipe, so I'll have to give these a try.

Thistlemoon said...

Yummy - those scones look great and I am sure your roommates really appreciated them!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Manggy said...

Those look good, and actually the recipe looks healthier than I thought, with only half a stick of butter :)

Ginny said...

pam- thank you! they are really easy and yummy!

Queen- thanks for adding me and stopping by!

manggy- in theory, they aren't that bad for you, but the roommates had a few and I had the rest covered in honey so...not exactly health food! :)

Nic said...

Ah, now these are the real deal! Very nice indeed - pass the clotted cream!!

test it comm said...

Nice looking scones. I really like freshly baked scones, still warm from the oven, with honey.

Ginny said...

Nicisme- Thanks! I've never had them with clotted cream but it sounds good.

Kevin- I often have the same problem. Scones are one of my most favorite breakfast foods so they don't always make it to the table!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those scones look beautiful! A great sunday treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

u have cool blog... plz add me as ur blog roll .. if u have added me ... plz drop a msg in my blog... so tht i too will add u

Anonymous said...

Hi again! I haven't made scones for ages so I took the opportunity to try these. Excellent; we've just had them for afternoon tea with strawberry jam, cream ... and a pot of tea of course!