Monday, July 28, 2008

Challah, I'm Back


Greetings everyone! I am back from Ireland. I had an amazing trip but I'm very glad to be back. This morning, I made some Challah. This recipe came from my roommate last year and it is very good.

Ok, quick post...I'm still unpacking...I'll have my Ireland pictures on flickr soon for anyone's enjoyment.

Challah

1/2 c oil
4t salt
1/3 c sugar
1 c boiling water
1/2 c cold water
2 pkg dry yeast
1/3 (scant) c warm water
3 eggs
7 c bread flour
poppy or sesame seeds
pour oil, salt and sugar into large mixing bowl. add one c boiling water and stir. add 1/2 c cold water. in a separate cup, dissolve the yeast in the 1/3 c warm water (with a pinch of sugar added). beat eggs and add to oil and water mixture, reserving two T to brush on loaves. add dissolved yeast and stir. add flour gradually and mix well.
turn out onto floured board and knead until dough doesn't stick. add more flour if necessary. return to bowl and cover with a clean town. let rise one hour.
knead one minute. cut into six pieces. knead each piece with a little flour. roll into strands and braid into two loaves. place loaves on greased pan or baking sheets.
let rise forty-five minutes. brush tops with reserved egg. sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. bake at 375 for 30 min.

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Welcome back!! Looking forward to reading all about your fantastic Ireland adventures :0)

Manggy said...

Challah! Welcome back! Beautiful plait you made for us! ;)

Deborah said...

Welcome back! Challah is on my list of things I want to try - it looks wonderful!

Neen said...

Challah seems like a pretty hardcore way to hit the ground running! I adore it though... my kid brother was visiting last week and really, really wanted me to make Challah (after months of testing, I finally have a recipe that I like)... but I let him down. Too hot to turn the oven on. Ah well, maybe for this Friday. Welcome home!

LyB said...

This is the second post I've read about Challah bread recently, I really have to make some! Glad you're back, can't wait to hear about your trip! :)

Elle said...

Welcome back! Gorgeous bread!

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- thank you!

manggy- I try...thanks to photography, I can easily hide the lopsided part of the braid! :)

deborah- I've tried a number of recipes but this is my favorite even though it dirties a number of dishes. I highly recommend it!

neen- I remember seeing your posts about challah...it is too hot for the oven but sometimes you just need to sweat! :) thank you!

lyb- I think it is a sign! let me know how it goes! thanks!

elle- thank you! I'm glad to be back!