Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Love Affair with Squash Continues...

As I have mentioned many, many, many times before, I love butternut squash...I also failed to mention that I LOVE SQUASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every variety is absolutely delicious. When I was younger, I would love it when my father would make us spaghetti squash with some olive oil and paremesan. It is amazing!

When I saw Cookthink's Root Source Challenge #21 was to make a dish with Yellow Squash, I felt I was up to the challenge and I knew exactly which recipe I wanted to use. Every month or so, I get together with a good high school friend of mine to cook. We sit around talking, eating lots of Brie and making some good vegetarian dishes. She is one of those really good friends, who I can go months without talking to and yet, when we do talk, we pick up exactly where we left off. She and her husband moved up here last fall and I will definitely miss our cooking adventures when I move next month.

The last time we were together, she showed me a cute little cookbook, Gail Greco's Gardens of Plenty. It had a number of interesting recipes that used herbs in new and interesting ways. The Lemon Yellow Squash Soup with Orzo caught my eye and I scribbled it down. Overall, I liked it but I think next time I would reduce the butter. I used frozen yellow squash because we are moving soon and trying to clean out all the food. I think fresh would have made it much better. Also, I would recommend increasing the lemon juice. There was a hint but not enough. I loved the addition of the mint and now I have plenty leftover to make some good ole' Southern Sweet Tea!

Lemon Yellow Squash Soup with Orzo
(adapted from Gail Greco's Gardens of Plenty)

16 oz frozen yellow squash (1 1/2 lb. yellow squash, sliced)
4 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, finely minced
salt and fresh cracked white pepper
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup orzo
1/2 cup light cream
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon mint, chopped

1. Melt butter in larger soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook until tender but not browned.
3. Add squash. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 min.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender and liquid reduces.
6. Blend in food processor.
7. Return to soup pot and bring to a boil.
8. Add orzo and cook until pasta is tender, about 7-8 min.
9. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine cream, egg and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
10. Add the mixture to the soup and whisk over low heat until blended. Do not let the soup come to a boil or the egg yolk will curdle.
11. Stir in the mint.
12. If the soup is too thick, add some more chicken stock.

P.S. Happy July 4th!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everyone has a wonderful and fun holiday weekend!!!

13 comments:

Manggy said...

Happy Independence Day to you, Ginny :) It's not every day you hear "I LOVE SQUASH!!!!" but given how great it is (esp. as soup), you kind of wonder why! :)

LyB said...

Well, you know I share your love of squash Ginny, and this is certainly one dish that makes it justice! The combination of flavors sound delicious.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too loooove squash :0)

Happy 4th of July!!

Mama Mia said...

happy 4th of july!!! Wow... you really love butternut squash huh? haha

Emily said...

I love squash too! Seriously, I'm nuts about it. I think butternut is my fav.

The soup sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Your squash soup sounds amazing!! I've only tried making it once...I think it was butternut squash soup...but it didn't turn out very well.. other than that it has only been at restaurants and from the cartons! Squash is an amazing vegetable though! My favorite is acorn squash though... I grew up eating it baked with olive oil : )

Lore said...

Yay for squash! Yummy looking soup :)

Elle said...

I love squash, too! And the addition of mint in this soup sounds wonderful!

Thistlemoon said...

I am so with you, squash RULES!

Deborah said...

Ohhh, I have squash and mint in my garden - now I just have to wait for the squash to ripen!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I love squash too! We don't have it very often because my daughter is allergic, or sensitive to it, or something. But I love to get an acorn squash, split it open, and roast it with brown sugar and butter. Heaven!

Anonymous said...

Squash soup is one of my all time favorite too! Yum! :-)

Ginny said...

I'm sorry to be so late with responding!

Manggy- thank you! I think my friends and family are sick of hearing me say "I love Squash!" but it is worth it!

LyB- Thank you! :)

VeggieGirl- yea! We should start a "I love squash" club!

Lina- oh that I do!

Emiline- yea! I think butternut is my favorite too with yellow as a close second.

glidingcalm- thanks! Acorn squash with olive oil sounds excellent!

Lore- :)

elle- the mint was a great addition...I recommend it!

Deborah- I wish I had a garden. I hope you got around to make it...what did you think?

Stephanie- brown sugar and butter? Sounds great to me!

zen chef- thank you! :)