Tuesday, April 29, 2008

PROBLEM: No creative title

Sometimes, I wonder where I left my brain...how can I forget all I know about cooking and blogging all in one evening? Come on, Ginny, you are so much better than this...but I am still going to share...

Yesterday was a crazy hectic day at work and during my lunch 15 minutes, I tried to decide what to make for dinner. You know, the normal...devouring my black bean salad while browsing through tastespotting and searching for some inspiration. Given the rainy weather, all I could think of was soup...yummy butternut squash soup! A couple months ago I tried Jen of Use Real Butter's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. It was simple, easy, and delicious. I ate it for days and never got tired of it. So after work, I went to the store to get the ingredients.

PROBLEM #1: Butternut Squash is out of season.

Oh, maybe that is why I cannot find any butternut squash anywhere. Well, my mom always talks about frozen butternut squash and that would work, right?

PROBLEM #2: I forgot the shallots.

No problem, I'll add more onion.

PROBLEM #3: The soup tasted very bland.

Well, I have a ton of leftover thyme that may make it more interesting.

PROBLEM #4: Butternut squash does not photograph well!

Who cares, I'm hungry!

Verdict: My roommates liked it but, always very critical of my own work, I think I can do better. The good part is it was very fast to make since butternut squash takes so long to roast and this cuts out that step. Jen's recipe is excellent so please check it out and her wonderful blog!

Thyme Butternut Squash Soup
(adapted from Jen of Use Real Butter)

2 12 oz frozen butternut squash purée
1 green apples, peeled, cored, diced
1 red onion, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 qts chicken broth
salt
pepper
2 oz. butter

1. Defrost butternut squash purée in a saucepan over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
2. Boil onions and apples in broth and simmer for 30 minutes or until soft.
3. Strain the apples and onions from the broth and reserve the liquid.
4. Purée the solids.
5. Add both purées to the broth and mix well.
6. Mix in thyme.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add the butter and heat the soup until it just begins to simmer. Serve hot.

P.S. Other butternut squash soup recipes I want to try:

Butternut Squash with Chestnuts and Chillies from Kevin of Closet Cooking
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Spices from Warda of 64th sq ft kitchen
Ginger-Orange Butternut Squash Soup from Karen of Family Style Food
Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk from Myriam of Once Upon a Tart

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Despite the problems, that soup recipe sounds like it turned out to be a winner! :0)

LyB said...

I love butternut squash in pretty much anything and your soup sounds delicious!

Pixie said...

My mom also goes on about frozen butternut squash and looking back I wish I froze some when it was in season. It's such a comforting soup!

test it comm said...

Roasted butternut squash soup is one of my favorites. I will have to remember to try apples in it the next time I make it.

Mama Mia said...

I love soup. So comforting and yummy!

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- thank you! It was not too bad! :)

lyb- me too! Its a small addiction of have! Why does it have to be out of season?

pixie- aren't moms great for that! :) thanks for stopping by!

kevin- It adds a really nice subtle sweetness to the taste! enjoy!

lina- me too! thank you!

Deborah said...

I love butternut squash soup - I'll have to keep this recipe in mind! I made one awhile ago that had curry powder in it - it was fantastic!

cakewardrobe said...

If you didnt identify a problem, I didn't even think there would be! Sometimes cooking is all about what you have/don't have and creative substitutes :)

Elle said...

That looks and sounds delicious! And that's a very pretty photo of it, too. Don't you hate it when you forget an ingredient, and can't find the ones you want to begin with?

Ginny said...

Deborah- curry? That sounds awesome! I'll have to look it up and put it on my list!

Cakewardrobe- thanks! Cooking is all about the creativity for except on those days when you are hungry and just want food! :)

Elle- thank you! it is struggle but thankfully i made it work this time!

Anonymous said...

I had one of those days yesterday too. I keep a couple of ready-to-go posts handy for just such an occasion. P.S. the secrets of japanese food will be revealed to she who shows up at my doorstep with that olive bread;-P

Manggy said...

Ginny, you're so critical :) I've yet to taste a squash soup I didn't like :)

Thistlemoon said...

LOL! What a funny post! This happens to me a lot...which means you always have a chance to get creative with what you have around. I agree though with everyone - butternut squash rules!!!!

Ginny said...

marc- Having a stock pile of posts is a goal but as yet to become a reality...olive bread? how about japanese lessons for bread lessons? I think its a fair trade!

manggy- thanks! I am always my own worse critic! but aren't most of us?

jenn- thank you! butternut squash does rock! :)