Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dollar Dish Duel Update and some Olive-Thyme Bread!!



First, an update regarding my Dollar Dish Duel. We have a logo thanks to my boyfriend. I was always joking that I needed to date a man who could help me with my blog. Well, the blogging gods answered my prayers with this one. We spent a very romantic evening designing a little logo for my event. So, if you would like, please put the logo on your entry to help publicize the event. Thank you!


You are entering, right? Why wouldn't you? You have a chance winning this awesome cookbook...

Ok, enough about the Duel. Let's talk about this delicious bread that I have already dangled in front of you. Lately, I have been in what I like to call my European mood. I start craving warm fresh breads, rich soft cheeses, large crisp salads and some really good red wine. Maybe it is the beautiful spring weather that puts me into this mood. I just want to sit on my balcony basking in the sunshine with my meal or maybe not...

Monday it rained a lot! As I was trudging home from the metro, the water seeping into my ballerina flats and splashing up my legs, I fixated on the thought of warm fresh bread smothered in brie. In fact, I knew exactly which recipe I wanted to use. Vegeyum from A Life (time) of Cooking recently made a no-knead bread that would be ready in a little over an hour. Walking into my apartment, feeling like a drowned rat, I went quickly to the kitchen and put it all together. I had some olives and thyme left over from the Fig and Walnut Tapanede I made last week so that also went in. While the bread was rising, I ran to the store to grab the brie and salad fixin's. I forewent the glass of wine this time knowing that I would be driving over to my boyfriend's later for our Logo Designing Date. When I got back from the store, the bread was all ready to go. I threw it in the oven and fifteen minutes later, I had to use a great deal of self control not to burn my mouth. Thankfully, I have found that by the time you take some photos, your food is normal cool enough to eat. My roommates and I devoured it with the brie. A fabulous dinner! And yes, I even has some salad to feel semi-healthy, I swear!




Olive and Thyme Focaccia
(adapted from vegeyum's My Deliciously Fast No Knead Focaccia)

3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups approx of tepid water
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoon) rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup
Kalamata olives, chopped
salt

1. Mix the sugar, 1/2 cup lukewarm water and the yeast with 1 Tablespoon of the flour, making a sponge, and let sit in a warm place for 15 minutes.
2. Mix the flour, yeast sponge, olives, thyme and enough of the remaining water to make a sticky dough.
3. Add additional water if you need it. The dough should be a little wetter than you would normally make dough.
4. Leave the dough to rise for 1 - 1.5 hours.
5. Place the risen dough on a bench and divide into two. Shape each on a tray with well oiled fingertips.
6. Bake in the oven at 500 degrees Fahrenheit around 10 - 15 minutes, or until cooked and lightly browned.
7. Eat while still warm.

P.S. Go to vegeyum's post for more variations and tips. Her blog combines delicious food, exceptional photographs and cultural insights that I enjoy reading everyday. I would highly recommend checking it out.

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE the logo that your boyfriend created, for the Dollar Dish Duel - so cute! :0)

h my, that Olive & Thyme Focaccia looks AMAZING!! I would have gone ahead and burned my mouth on it ;0)

Anonymous said...

Dollar Dish Duel -- that really is very cute and creative!

Olive and thyme - never tried that combo together; sounds wonderful.

Manggy said...

Great combination of flavors, Ginny! I hope (judging from the logo) that our dishes don't, you know, kill each other :P

LyB said...

I'm not a huge fan of olives, they're an acquired taste, I'm working on that! Nevertheless, your bread looks delicious and that logo is perfect!

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- thank you! It did not last long once we cut into it! :)

jj- welcome to my blog! I'm glad you could stop by. Thank you!

manggy- wouldn't it be more fun to have the dishes kill each other! haha!!! :) Thanks!

lyb- Thank you! I did not like olives for a long time. My turning point was when I was in Sicily drinking a glass of white wine and they bought us olives. Ever since I have been hooked!

Deborah said...

That does sound like a perfect dinner - bread, cheese and salad. This bread sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I need to get over my bread-making-phobia. This looks fantastic.

Lore said...

Love the looks of that focaccia! I need to get my handS on some fresh thyme leaves ASAP.

Elle said...

I want that bread! It looks SO good.

Adorable dollar signs, too, hehe!

test it comm said...

That bread with thyme and large chunks of olives sounds so good!

Ginny said...

Deborah- Thank you! I was very pleased with it! :)

Marc- you really should- fresh bread is essential for life...you should try the no-knead bread I posted about in February...it is easy and amazing!

Lore- awesome! go for it! its worth it!

elle- thank you! glad you like the logo!

kevin- thanks! it is a great combination! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a fantastic recipe. I made it tonight because I didn't have much time and I was so happy with the results. I'm a big fan of the famous no-knead bread recipe because of it's fabulous crust so I baked this in an enameled frying pan preheated in the oven and brushed with olive oil. Thanks so much for your recipe and suggestions.

Ginny said...

Anonymous- thank you! glad I could help! :)