Monday, April 7, 2008

Mom, what do I need to make...


My mother hears this phrase and other similar ones fairly frequently. Often, I find myself at the grocery store, trying to figure out what to make and unable to remember something essential...so, I call my mom.

My mother taught me to cook. Ever since I was a young girl, I have been at my mother's elbow watching her cook and helping her. As I became more confident in my cooking, I would pore over her cookbooks, give her a grocery list and make dinner for my family with her guidance. I owe the majority of my knowledge and skills to her teaching and example. I find myself still turning to her for advice and help.

The most recent question I had for my mother was regarding our family's hot fudge sauce. I had a huge craving for it but I could not remember for the life of me as to whether it was condensed milk or evaporated milk...so, I called my mom! It is a very simple recipe and delicious over ice cream. We used to make it on Friday nights for a quick chocolate fix! I took the photos a few weeks ago and my mother keeps asking why I have not blogged about it yet, so here it is Mom. Thanks for the advice!

Hot Fudge
(adapted from Marvelous Mocha Pie)

3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Bring chocolate, sugar and butter to a boil over medium high heat.
2. Gradually add evaporated milk and cook until thickened.
3. Cool and add vanilla.

P.S. Nothing this time. Short post, tired Ginny!

13 comments:

Sharona May said...

Yum, now that is good stuff- homemade hot fudge sauce. My husband's mom makes this around Christmas time and serves it warm over peppermint icecream!

Thanks,
Sharona May

Manggy said...

Beautiful! Your mom reads your blog, that's so sweet :)

I hope you get some rest :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

You're so lucky to have a mom who cooks! Mine doesn't -- so it's more likely she'd call me for a recipe.

Resa said...

Screw the ice cream, just go at it with a spoon.

test it comm said...

That fudge on ice cream looks so good!

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hi there Ginny! I love family recipes and this one is lovely - my girls would devour the fudge sauce on it's own, never mind the ice-cream!

Thanks for coming by my blog ;o)

LyB said...

Wow Ginny, homemade hot fudge sauce! And easy too! It looks so decadent, I can just imagine it on some brownies with vanilla ice cream! Beautiful!

creampuff said...

Aren't moms the best?! Love the sauce!

Emily said...

Awww...GO MOM!
Hot fudge sauce sounds excellent.

Gattina Cheung said...

your mom is an excellent cook, just like her daughter :) :)

Ginny said...

sharona- peppermint ice cream? sounds like a great combo. thanks for stopping by.

manggy- my mom is my biggest fan! :) its been a busy couple weeks- low on the sleep but I must keep blogging!

lydia- she is great! now we can trade recipes-its fun!

resa- very true! I do that all the time!

kevin- thank you! That it is!

carol- it does not last long...thanks for stopping by mine!

lyb- that sounds great! I should have made brownies!

ivonne- they really are! thanks!

emiline- thanks! its delicious!

gattina- thank you! thats sweet of you- we try!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My mom taught me how to cook/bake as well - it's always lovely when recipes bring about nostalgia! :0)

I just discovered your blog tonight, and went through your archives - I LOVE your writing style and photographs!! I will definitely be a regular reader of your blog now :0)

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- Thank you for your kind words! I hope you continue to enjoy my blog- I'm glad you stumbled across mine so I can stumble across yours! :)