Friday, May 2, 2008

My First Dollar Dish and a Guest Blogger


Yesterday, my sister took her last exam! In a few short weeks, she will graduating from college. In the fall, she will begin law school at Carolina! I am very proud of her and all her accomplishments! GO RESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In honor of her finishing her collegiate career, I wanted to share with you her entry into my Dollar Dish Duel...



Like my sister, when I first came up with the Dollar Dish Duel, I immediately thought of Ramen. The go to of college students all around because it is very inexpensive and filling...So, I decided to jazz up Ramen. But how?

Ginger came to mind as a flavorful and inexpensive spice. I bought a piece of fresh ginger root that was about two inches long for three cents!!! For a protein, I decided upon tofu ($1.79) and grabbed a cheap bunch of green onions ($.69) for some added flavor. I ended up going with Rice Noodles ($1.98) in lieu of Ramen just because they looked interesting. This all came to $4.40. From my pantry, I took leftover soy sauce packets, honey and some vegetable oil. Overall, I was satisfied with my creation. The flavors worked really well. The ginger was strong enough to flavor the tofu but not too overpowering. Next time I would use extra firm tofu because my tofu crumbled easily. I would also make the oil hotter and fry the tofu. So there is my first dollar dish! Stay tuned...more to come!

It is not to late to enter my Dollar Dish Duel. Deadline is May 5th! Round-up on May 7th! Click on the Logo for more details!




Ginger-Green Onion Tofu Noodles

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
1 bunch Green Onions, chopped
2 packets Thai Rice Noodles
1 12 oz. package Firm Tofu

3 staples:
1 tablespoon Honey
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce from packets leftover from takeout
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil

1. Slice the tofu into one inch cubes.
2. Mix tofu with soy sauce, ginger and honey. Let sit for 30 minutes.
3. In a fry pan, heat oil over medium heat and sautee the green onions.
4. Add tofu mixture and cook until browned.
5. Make Rice Noodles, discarding seasoning packets, according to instructions.
6. Drain water from noodles.
7. Mix with tofu mixture and enjoy!

P.S. How to easily remove the skin from the ginger? Take a spoon and scrape off the skin. Comes off very easily so you can grate or chop the ginger.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Congratulations to your sister, on her upcoming graduation!! Love the video-entry for the Dollar Dish Duel event :0)

LyB said...

Ginny, your sister is hilarious! She sure likes her Tabasco sauce! Both your dishes sound great and I already made mine too, I just have to find the time to post it! Soon, I promise! :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha... beer, tabasco and ramen?

Yours looks like it tastes a lot better (and has more than one vitamin) but gotta give your sister credit for being classy.

kikuyomomm said...

Very creative dish that is kind to the wallet!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your sister :) but I think I like your dollar dish better :D.

Pixie said...

Congrats to your sister and she made me laugh quite a bit especially, the bud light.

I wish I had enough time to have participated in your event- perhaps, next time- hoping there will be a next time here!

Ivy said...

Hi Giny. Well done for your sister. Congratulations. That was a very creative dish. Lovely logo, I hadn't seen it before and have added it today.

Ginny said...

Veggiegirl- I laughed so hard when I first saw her entry! thanks!

Lyb- awesome! I am looking forward to seeing it!

That Guy- She will appreciate that! :)

kikuyo- thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you like it!

lore- thanks! I tried!

pixie- thank you! no worries, I have been too busy with this to do something for Putting Up...and a next time? definitely!

ivy- thank you! The logo was a late addition! Thanks for participating again! :)

Deborah said...

What a creative dish!

Neen said...

Still brainstorming about your doller dish duel. I was all pleased because I've been cooking all these cheap dishes recently, then realized that the reason they were cheap was because I've accumulated so many "staples" in my pantry. Sigh... still brainstorming. Good creative challenge.

Ginny said...

Deborah- Thank you!

Neen- I do the same thing...I hope you can come up with something! There is still some time left! :)

Helene said...

Looks fantastci and congratulations to your sister!