Thursday, May 22, 2008

Taste and Create Part 1: Rocket Mousselines!


Don't you just hate it when real life gets in way of your blogging? This past week has been very hectic and busy...I have barely had a chance to read a few blogs here and there let alone do something for my own.

Last weekend, my sister graduated from college. I met my family in Boston for a long weekend of eating, drinking, and some more eating. It was a really fun weekend but when I got back late Monday evening, I was exhausted and sick of eating so many large meals. I decided to take a couple more days off. Tonight, I finally found my desire to cook again and just in time for the event Taste and Create IV. This month I was paired with Veronica of La Recette du Jour. My job was to look over this beautiful blog, pick some recipes to try and report back. After much reading and deliberating, I decided upon two...the Rocket Mousselines and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

When I was living in Rome, my friends and I would see Rocket on the menu but, showing our American ignorance, had no idea what it was. Eventually, we ordered some pizza with Rocket and discovered that Rocket is Arugula!

I really liked this recipe because it seemed like a perfect light dinner. I struggled a little bit with converting the gram measurements (I really do need to invest in a scale) but I think it turned out great. Also, I halved the recipe and it made two ramekins. I took Veronica's suggestion pairing it with a salad and drizzled with a lemon vinaigrette. Delicious! Exactly what I was craving!

Check out La Racette du Jour's recipe for Rocket Mousselines

Arugula Mousselines

1 cup arugula leaves
1/2 cup soft cheese such as ricotta or goat's cheese
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
1 egg
1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
fresh basil (about 6 large leaves)
salt, pepper, nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 320 F.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil and have ready a bowl of iced water.
3. Throw the rocket into the boiling water, blanch for 30 seconds, drain, and immediately tip into the bowl of iced water.
4. Food process the eggs, cream, and cheese with the seasonings.
5. Squeeze out the rocket, add to the liquidizer with the basil and parmesan, and mix again.
6. Pour the mixture into buttered muffin tins or ramekins and bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
7. Turn out onto plates and serve warm.


P.S. Check out my post on Saturday for Veronica's Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

10 comments:

test it comm said...

Arugula mousselines sound really interesting and look good!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ah yes, life definitely gets busy (which therefore leaves less time for blogging).

Oooh, mousselines?? Intriguing!

LyB said...

That looks just beautiful Ginny! I just recently got a kitchen scale and I love it, I never thought I would love it so much. Get one, now! :)

Manggy said...

Nice! Mousselines, how posh! :D I urge you to get the scale. After you've converted all your recipes to metric you will not want to do it the "American" way again! (Admittedly, that's how I used to do it when I was starting out baking... Waste of time!)

Ivy said...

This sounds awesome. I've never heard of this and it sounds very interesting to try.

Sylvie said...

Those look great. I couldn't live without my kitchen scales, but then I guess living in Europe make them an even bigger 'must have' as so many recipes have weight meassurements.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny

Glad you liked them! They make a lovely and elegant summer starter. You might also like spinach and lemon mousselines.

And yes, get those scales! No European cook would be without them :-)

Veronica

Deborah said...

I totally know what you mean about real life getting in the way - life has been crazy for me lately!

This looks so delicious! And you really should get a scale - I just have a cheap one, but it has been a great investment!

Elle said...

I think I'd love these! They look delicious!

Ginny said...

kevin- They really were! of course, you can never go wrong with goat cheese!

veggiegirl- give it a shot! very good!

lyb- Thanks! A scale is on my birthday list!

manggy- metric makes so much sense! I don't know why we don't do it that way around here...

ivy- It is worth a try! I had never heard of it but glad i did!

sylvie- thank you!

veronica- thanks! I loved them! I also was looking at the spinach and lemon ones. they are amazing!

deborah- I understand...I feel so behind on my blogging! :) Thanks!

elle- They are worth a try! So delicious!