Saturday, May 24, 2008

Taste and Create Part 2: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day


For my second recipe for Taste and Create IV from Veronica's La Recette du Jour, I made Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Although, I never thought I would get caught up in the no-knead bread fad...I have! I love having fresh bread! This makes it possible more frequently. There is also the extra benefit of not angering my roommates by covering the kitchen with flour. No matter how hard I try to clean up...we still find flour in the oddest places!

When I saw this recipe, I was excited because Veronica said it was possible to mix it up, throw it in the fridge and pull out a bit when you want some fresh bread! So, I tried it and I am very happy with the results. I am thinking about throwing in another loaf right now. Veronica gives her readers some excellent advice and tips, especially if you are not cooking in America. I was lucky on this one as the recipe was written in cups and based on the flour I can get here. She recommended using a pizza stone and not worrying about using an oven thermometer. I took both tips and it work well! Delicious!

And now for a tag and award...

Elle of Elle's New England Kitchen tagged me with"Look What I Made." Started by Farida at Farida's Azerbaijani Cookbook, I was asked to make a list of recipes I have made from other blogs. I love this tag because it is great to see what other recipes people have tried.

1.
Butterscotch Mascarpone Cream Layer Cake from Tartelette
2.
Pasta & corn salad with red bell pepper sauce from Kitchen Unplugged
3. Chicken Pot Pie with Cilantro Biscuits from Wandering Chopsticks
4. Chocolate Tribute Cake from Veronica's Test Kitchen
5. Chubble* Bread from To be Mrs. Marv…

My tags....
1. Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy
2. Lore of Culinarty
3. Veggie Girl
4. Kristin of The Pearl Onion
5. Nemmie of Cast Sugar

Sylvie of A Pot of Tea and Biscuit bestowed this wonderful award upon me. Thank you so much Sylvie! It made my day!

I struggled to figure out who to award this to, as I read so many worthy blogs, but finally decided upon...

1. Kevin of Closet Cooking
2. Jen of Use Real Butter
3.

You all have excellent blogs and I look forward to reading them everyday!!!

Simple Crusty Bread

Adapted from “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough

Cornmeal.

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pan sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

P.S. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

20 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, that simple crusty bread looks FABULOUS!! Great for Taste and Create IV!!

Congratulations on the blogging awards!! And thank you for the tag - I'll try to get around to it, but if I don't, please know that I greatly appreciate it :0)

Marija said...

Thank you Ginny!

And congratulations on your awards! You deserve them! Keep up the good work!

LyB said...

That bread looks great Ginny! I might just give this a try, I'm always saying I should make bread more often! :)

Sylvie said...

What a great looking bread! I haven't tried the no-kneed thing yet, maybe I should give it a go. Oh, and you're welcome, you know you deserve it!

test it comm said...

Fresh home made bread is the best! This one sounds nice and simple. Thanks for the award!!

Elle said...

I have got to get moving and try out these no knead breads! This looks so good!

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Thanks for trying our recipes! I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors of the book. Come visit us at www.artisanbreadinfive.com and post questions into any "Comments" field, or into the "Bread Questions" field on the left side.

Jeff Hertzberg

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Should have also said: Zoe and I will be in Seattle June 18 to June 22 to promote the book. Check out our schedule at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=225. Tentatively, all we know for sure is that we'll be at Third Place Books either Thursday or Friday.

Jeff

Nina Timm said...

I love the idea of this no-knead bread and will try it pretty soon, maybe even today!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Welcome to the Artisan Bread bandwagon! That book has changed my life. You have got to try the brioche recipe. It is to die for!

I have a couple of different memes to catch up on. I'm going to try to do them all in one post later in the week.

Anonymous said...

Yourr loaf looks beautiful, Ginny! Great crust and lovely crumb. Thanks for visiting my blog and trying the recipes -- hope you enjoyed it as much as I did yours :-)

Dana said...

I've been meaning to try this version of No Knead Bread too! I love that you can just leave the dough in the refrigerator and have fresh bread at any time... I realllly need to make this soon!

Lore said...

Congrats on your award Ginny!
I just came to let you know I've tagged you, only to see that I've been tagged too ha ha :). Read more about my tag here.

Lore said...

Btw, I just noticed you tagged me on my birthday :)). Karma?

Anonymous said...

I haven't been caught up in it yet but after seeing your bread...it looks delicious! I do bake bread but I let my bread making machine do it for me ;)
And congratulations on your award!

Unknown said...

Your bread looks delicious and it seems easy to make. Love the smell is baking bread.

Neen said...

Congrats on the award! The bread looks divine...

Ginny said...

veggiegirl- thank you!

marija- thanks! I love your blog...the least I could do!

LyB- You started me on the no knead bread fad...so I blame you for my new obsession! fast warm bread is just a must! :)

sylvie- thanks again! give it a try...you'll like it!

kevin- you are most welcome...as it is most deserved! I look forward to your posts...now if I could only eat them everyday! :)

elle- thank you! I highly recommend it!

jeff- I really enjoy your recipe...your cookbook is on the top of the to buy list! I've heard so many good things!

Nina- Did you? I hope so!

Susan- Brioche? That sounds amazing!!!

Veronica- Thanks! I really have enjoyed yours and now you are on my reader so I can never miss a post!

Dana- That was the best part...we had a few fresh loaves over the course of the week.

Lore- haha! Happy Birthday! I'll check out the tag. Thanks!

Linda- thanks!

Ivy- the smell of baking bread is one of the best smells! This makes it so easy!

Neen- thank you!

creampuff said...

That is some serious looking bread! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

good Job! :)