Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Spoils of Packing...

Last week, as part of my sister's graduation weekend of celebration and fun, we also had the unfortunate but necessary duty to move her out of her apartment. So, all of last Monday, we sorted, boxed, threw out and packed the last four years of her life.

At one point, my sister asked me to go through the pantry and throw out her leftover food. I cringed at the thought but unfortunately, it didn't make sense to ship it all back home. Well, when I opened it up to see boxes and boxes of unopened rice pilaf, couscous and pasta, there was no way that I was going to let it all go to waste. I grabbed an old Victoria Secret shopping bag and went shopping.

She even had a couple cans of Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip icing! I am definitely a baking purist but a Funfetti cupcake with Rainbow Chip icing is my favorite half-birthday treat. This past February, I discovered that you can not find Rainbow Chip icing anywhere around here. But up in Boston, my sister was squandering two whole cans! My roommates were very excited to see me come home with this loot. I somehow miraculously managed to squeeze it all into my suitcase. I also nabbed a pair of her "old" jeans and they look absolutely awesome on me!

This dish, I came up with last night when I was looking over my spoils and what was about to spoil in the fridge. I do not normally buy anything that has a flavor packet because I enjoy making my own. This couscous had real pine nuts in the flavor packet so I thought I would try it. Turned out really well for a quick dinner!


Couscous with Mushroom, Spinach, and Goat Cheese

1 box of Pine Nut of Couscous
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups sliced Mushrooms
2 cups Spinach
1 cup Goat Cheese

1. Prepare the Couscous as directed.
2. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil.
3. Saute the Mushrooms and Spinach. Cover with a lid for about 5 minutes to wilt the spinach.
4. Stir the cooked mushrooms and spinach into the couscous. Crumble the goat cheese into the mixture.

P.S. Next time, I think I would add some sundried tomatoes and more pine nuts to jazz up the couscous a little more.

10 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

It takes a lot of creativity to make a great dish out of a box. Your cous cous looks delicious. Well done!

Sylvie said...

I love free shopping trips like that!

LyB said...

When I was at University and went to visit my parents, my Dad would fill my suitcase up with goodies! I loved that! This couscous looks delicious, nothing wrong with a tasty shortcut once in a while!

Elle said...

I agree--sometimes a shortcut is just what you need! Looks very good!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I usually despise having to pack and unpack things, but when the finds are delicious (and worthy of a great meal), it all works out. Love that couscous dish that you came up with - especially with the mushrooms and spinach (two of my FAVORITE vegetables - yum!)

cakewardrobe said...

Cooking with Sandra Lee! :) It's wonderful when you can fix up packaged foods.

test it comm said...

That couscous salad sounds simple and tasty.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That looks like a great "pantry raid" dish! And what fun to find that evil frosting in your sister's pantry. Every now and then you just have to sit down with a can of frosting and a spoon....

Anonymous said...

I love digging through the pantry and fridge to see what surprises await me to be cooked:-)

Neen said...

Heehee, fun. Maybe we should let you go 'shopping' in our pantry next month! What's your sister up to post-graduation? Oh, and, You're Moving to Chicago????? When??? We both ADORE that city, it's where we would love to settle in the long term. Is this for a summer thing or a for-real, honest-to-god, permanent move?